Test Drive provides driver’s education to the students of Marshalltown as well as the students of South Hardin and the Grundy Center Community School Districts. In addition we accept students and adults from all other surrounding areas. Student registrations will be accepted on a first come first serve basis.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING TERMS OF SERVICE:
Test Drive, LLC is a private school. Students should enroll in this educational program by putting forth their best effort at all times with a positive attitude to learn. It is our intent that all students will complete the course at programs end. However, students with excessive absences, tardies, deficient driving abilities or disruptive behavior as judged by the instructor, will be dismissed from the program or be required to obtain more driving experience before being issued a certificate of completion. Driving a motor vehicle is a great responsibility and a privilege.
Any student who is unsuccessful in their performance behind the wheel or in the classroom will not pass this program. Only students who demonstrate safe and sensible operational methods and are ready for the responsibility of driving will be awarded a certificate.
*Test Drive, LLC is not responsible for any actions of students.
Iowa State requirements will be met or exceeded:
1. Length of the class may not exceed 180 minutes.
2. Number of classroom hours will be a minimum of 30 hours.
3. Students will receive 240 minutes of substance abuse education.
4. Students will receive a minimum of 20 minutes of railroad crossing safety.
5. Students will be provided instruction relating to organ donation under the Uniform Anatomical Gift Act.
6. Two or more students will be scheduled for all behind the wheel instruction.
7. 30 minutes per session, 60 minutes per day is the maximum a student may drive in one day.
8. The minimum number of times a student will drive in a dual control automobile during the entire course without simulation or range is 12.
9. A maximum of 360 minutes of range instruction may be substituted for behind the wheel instruction.
10. All driver education instructors, with the exception of behind the wheel instructors, must hold a valid Iowa teaching license and the Driver Education endorsement.
Classroom location will be at Marshalltown High School.
Two sections of class are offered to reduce conflicts with activities throughout the week.
Section A: 4-6 p.m. Wednesday and 1-3 p.m. on Sunday
Section B: 6-8 p.m. Wednesday and 3-5 p.m. Sunday
Other dates may be used if available.
Driving lessons will be scheduled throughout the week.
The state of Iowa mandates 6 hours of behind the wheel instruction and 30 hours of classroom instruction. Driving instruction will be individually arranged with instructors.
Classroom and driving must be consecutive.
The total cost of the course is $360* and is due at registration or at the first class meeting. If you are a Marshalltown student and qualify for reduced fare, please check with Trina Heimgartner, Business Manager. Everyone else should make their payment (checks payable to Test Drive) on the first night of class.
*cost can vary based on location.
Driver’s education needs to be one of the student’s top priorities during this time. We will be flexible in scheduling around school activities. Driver’s education should be a priority over all other activities. Students should bring their personal schedules to the first class for scheduling of driving sessions.
Classroom Absences: Students must attend 10 classes. Make up classes will be subject to a $30/class fee for an absence. Only school activities will be considered excused absences.
Driving Session Absences: Any student who fails to show up for their scheduled behind the wheel instruction without prior 24 hour notification from a parent/guardian will be subject to a $40 fee.
Students must pass the classroom AND driving portions of the course to receive the IDOT certificate.
Refund/Return Check/Past Due Policy: